Tuesday, November 5, 2013

"Appropriate" is one to skip

I didn't resent "Appropriate" until the middle of the third act, when, shifting in my seat, my tights caught and snagged on the zipper of my boots. Even though it was clear long before that moment that the play was dragging, that there was too much of the same, that we get it already, it took another ruined pair of tights to make me regret having gone. That's largely because, in spite of its mediocrity and lack of originality, the play was vaguely amusing (enough). When I say lack of originality, I couldn't mean it more: during the first act, I thought I was watching "Stupid F*ing Bird" again--another play with characters who are caricatures of themselves. Another play that ran around in circles trying to come to an end. Didn't help that it was some of the same actors. Didn't help the sense that the characters were reused, that is.

Past the first act, I no longer thought of Bird but couldn't help but think the whole thing was a ripoff of "Osage County," so much so that Tracy Letts could probably sue. If you're going to write a okay about fucked up family dynamics that keep being revealed to be even more fucked up, in a way that stretches credulity, you've gotta make it good. Just like playwrights will abuse salty language for shock value, as a cheap substitute for a compelling story, they will, apparently, abuse fucked-up.

So save yourselves some time and skip "Appropriate" (playing at Woolly).

***
We decided before the show that a quick meal would have to do, so we hit Protein Bar, even though I'd said I wouldn't after the silly "highest protein" sign discussed earlier. The food wasn't bad, although, not for the first time, it wasn't warm enough. More importantly, the staff don't seem to get it. It being vegetarianism. My friend ordered the veggie chili, and one of the people behind the counter asked her if she wanted chicken in it. Apparently, this question came up several times in the ordering process. Really, Protein Bar?

***
Since this post has been all kvetch so far, let me end on a positive note: my new insulation is awesome. I can feel the difference; the house heats up much more quickly, and retains heat more effectively, on a noticeable level.

No comments: