Friday, January 22, 2010

On memoirs

I love a great memoir, so I hold the genre to a high standard, and, like Daniel Mendelsohn, find it worthy of analysis. His review is actually fascinating, and I'm too wary to do it justice, but I'll make a few comments:
-I love that he challenges the idea that personal redemption is necessarily art-worthy
-Very true how blogging and twittering is contributing to the excesses of the memoir mentality--I mean, he talks about how with an enabling medium, everyone's a publisher. There's a great book that he does not mention (perhaps because it's not a memoir) called 'Diary of a Nobody'--its authors making fun of gratuitous oversharing of the mundane ages before it got this bad.
-I know I've ranted about this on these very pages, but I still think Rigoberta Menchu is full of $hit and that those kind of faux memoirs do serious damage,

That's all I've got. Do read the article.

No comments: