Tuesday, September 29, 2009

newsflash: much of DC raised in barns

I don't think I posted this at the time because I'd so often posted like links, but this phenomenon--i.e. that of not offering seats, particularly seats designated for the pregnant, elderly and otherwise more in need of a seat than the average person--came up in conversation last night at dinner. Apparently, one of our coworkers, who is very pregnant, has never been offered a seat on the metro. One of my colleagues talked about how he had stood up to offer his seat to a pregnant woman who'd boarded, only to see a young, able-bodied guy take the seat within seconds (my coworker called him on it and he moved). WTF, people??

***
I caught myself thinking the other day how beautiful the term "clusterf*" sounds. It just has a ring to it. Have you all seen "Away from Her"? It's really good. And there's a scene, in the nursing home, where one of the ladies says something like, "It's...what do the young folks call it? a clusterf*... At this age, it’s a real clusterfuck, all the charmers are taken."

No comments: