Saturday, September 19, 2009

L'Shanah Tovah

Happy New Year! Beautiful weekend for it, except part of me was hoping for worse weather so I wouldn't be tempted to spend time outside when I should be getting organized. It's gotten to the point where it's no longer okay. Judith Warner's post spoke to me:
Every photo would be printed... every bush in the garden pruned, every flower watered, every lost button found and sewn, every closet ordered, every piece of too-tight clothing culled; in short, everything would be brought under control.
I'm slightly less ambitious, though I do plan to organize the potted plants outside and hopefully find and sew on a few buttons. And find my Banana Republic credit card so I can buy some clothes. I'm in a frumpiness funk and I must get out.

This debate is getting tiresome, and I'd like to stop posting about it, but something here makes me wonder:
"A friend who used to work in the Bush White House tells me that some Republican voters are already flooding the Congressional switchboard and pushing the idea of Joe Wilson running for president in 2012. No lie!"
Bring it on. If that's the best you can do... I'm speechless.

For sure, this is not the first time Dana Milbank comes off as a complete prick (see Mad Bitch video, for example), but this is the first time I've felt the need to call him out on it. Yes, farmers' markets are expensive--hell, I don't shop at them for that very reason. But it's not fair to compare their prices to supermarket prices for a number of reasons-- one being that organics are more expensive and another being that supermarket wares are often federally subsidized. The issue isn't the First Lady's appearance at a farmers' market or her purchases of fingerling potatoes; the issue is our food system, which is broken. Run mostly by a handful of corporations. I'm the first to wish that "certified humane" eggs didn't cost three times those of their caged or cooped counterparts, but they do, and they're worth it.

On that note, here's why you shouldn't buy conventional peaches, ever. But keep in mind, also, that sustainability scores are never straightforward.

No comments: