Monday, July 20, 2009

Monday evening roundup (not for the weak)

Starting with North Korea... its labor camps to be exact.

Onto Russia. At least the tragic story has an inspiring quote:
The death of each friend was making it harder, not easier, to quit. She had talked about it with Natasha on the night of Mr. Markelov’s funeral, and that is what Natasha had said. To quit would betray their memory.


Still on Russia, I have a lot to say about this letter from "New Europe. Like put your money where your mouth is. I mean, I feel your pain, but I'm not sure you're helping your cause. Especially since the Georgia war is no longer seen as an act of unilateral aggression.

On the topic of not-helping-one's-own-cause, DADT is an unmitigated disaster.

Onward and lightward, I guess, to issues of finance. I really wanted to post the photo that came with the print edition of this article, but the Post apparently did not deem it worthy of posting online, so the corresponding quote will have to do:
Like most of you, the only real investment I've considered making since last September is purchasing a $14 portable battery-operated shredder. I'd carry it out to the mailbox and mulch my 401(k) statements into poor man's cat litter the second it arrives.
And while we're on the topic of the recession, see one way it's playing out in Japan.

And here. Which is hardly less tacky.

I'll end on a lighter note: you never sit down to read the news knowing what to expect, but this surpasses my wildest non-expectations.

No comments: