Saturday, January 12, 2008

Watch out for the sharks

Saturday night

Mom, to my voice mail: Hi. Where are you wandering around? Call me back.

I was actually just on the phone with a friend who had called to personally congratulate me about the job offer (she felt it merited a phone call because she knows how much it means to me). Not that I'm bitter-- seriously-- about my parents' reaction or lack thereof; just surprised.

I have a theory about the "it's Saturday night/where could you possibly be?" messages: mom is actually hoping that I'm out somewhere, and partly checking in on me.

Mom: Oh, hello. [Screams dad's name so that he'll pick up the phone, but as usual, screams it right into the phone].
A.: Hello.
Mom: When are you leaving for Hawaii?
A.: Tomorrow morning.
Mom: Why haven't you sent us your itinerary.
A.: I will [but you seem to prefer to ignore them and just call me to ask for details].
Mom: Watch out for the sharks and the rip tides. Don't be afraid of the sun, though. The sun is healthy. Have a good trip.
A.: Thank you.

I didn't argue, or point out that most daylight hours would be spent inside. I did commend her (not out loud) for not asking whether I'd already packed, as she often does because I may not remember to otherwise. She means well.

No comments: