Saturday, June 21, 2014

Saturday roundup

The Middle East is not a lost cause; it's just a really rough patch. It's a long road, also, for Egyptian women.

A foreign policy victory in a message to Uganda: homophobia is not okay.

Anti-semitism in France (and other parts of Europe) is either growing or becoming more open.

Milbank on Politico's whitewashing of the Heritage mob.

Watch the video associated with this Chinese artist who walks a cabbage.

Everyone calm down about the gravity waves. It's not backtracking; it's part of the process.

You should think twice before going for that doctoral degree, but if it's what you really want, go for it.
 
On one hand, I think it's great that a St. Louis paper dropped George Will for his abhorrent column, but on the other hand, I think that column was a huge public service, in the sense of what Ruth Simmons said about opposing voices making ours stronger (linked to earlier). He's so, so wrong, but his column started/continued an important conversation and created the impetus for other columnists to directly, explicitly rebut his troglodytic bull$hit.

We can't let cyberbullying drive women off the internet. Nor should we let fat-shaming drive women out of science.

This isn't about which gender has it harder dressing for a given profession, or what's reasonable professional dress. I mean, I have to wear a blazer when I interact with anyone outside the building (or from outside the building). There's reasonable advice about what's work-appropriate, and there is WTF in WTF terms, like the idea that your hair channels your personality. (If that's true, I'm in big trouble).

Pair with this study debunking the myth of the trophy wife with not-quite-review of a book urging successful women to date "beta males." Also: evolutionary psychology is a poor way to understand our sexuality.

Parents can and should read:
But here’s the secret most people don’t tell you because they want to be parenting martyrs: babies don’t DO anything. FOR MONTHS. They sit (or sleep, if we’re being real) where you put them. They don’t talk back. They don’t ask to go to the park or demand craft time or need deep talks about the whys and wherefores of life. They’re consumed with wonder at the fact that they have toes. And you know what I did while my twins discovered their appendages? I read books, sometimes while holding a baby in one arm and a book in the other.
and
How do you find time to read when you have kids? You fucking make it, because it matters. I want my boys to recognize that mommy (and yes, I mean specifically mommy) is a fully-developed human whose life is not entirely composed of them. I say I want them to understand that reading is important to mommy (me) because no one ever asks my husband how he finds time to pay attention to his hobbies now that he’s a father.
Lupita N'yongo's Vogue cover and interview.


Um, it's legit to criticize a place for not having vegan options. It's really not too much to ask in this day and age. BTW, I was at Penn Tavern last night and was very pleasantly surprised at (1) their veggie burger; (2) their not-bad happy hour house wine; and (3) their crowd management during the World Cup. And I wouldn't have experienced the other stuff had it not been for their having a veggie burger.

As I keep saying, just eat food.

This is amazing:

No comments: