Friday, April 27, 2012

Friday morning roundup

Helene Cooper and her family bore witness to Charles' Taylor's carnage. What's to be read into China's recent foreign policy shifts? I couldn't have said this better (than Andy Bellati); we all know that internet comments scrape the bottom of the barrels of decency and constructiveness, and the commentary about "diets" is no exception. The comments on the Times' posts on veganism were just depressing, and some of the vegans were no better than some of the haters. I once dated a vegan (before I was one), and was horrified at his dependence on processed foods; he did the food system few favors. I have a 'paleo' friend who agrees that processed foods are a disaster. Yes, high levels of meat consumption are also a disaster, but I'd like us all to stop sniping at each other online and have civilized discussions about the impact of certain foods on our bodies and on the food system? Without ad hominem attacks and faux or misleading nutritional claims? Couples are clashing over what to blog, what not to blog. I've agreed not to post any pictures of F., particularly of the series of him, bonding with Gracie Cat.

No comments: