Thursday, February 24, 2011

Thursday morning roundup

Whether the Administration actually has a Middle East policy is a fair question. Not suggesting it's preferable to speak loudly when you've only a small stick; not suggesting there's not virtue in behind-the-scenes policy execution. I'm just saying it's a fair question.

The worst things about these scams is that no one will listen when someone genuinely needs help. John Kelly's right about needing to be better about carrying cash--I was shocked that the hospital garage only took cash (really?). But there will always be situations where someone's in genuine need. I remember I was back in Boston and I was supposed to call my parents when I got to the nearest T stop, which was an hour's walk away, and it was brutally hot. I had no change, and my cell phone had died. I stopped into a local shop and asked if I could use their phone for a local call, and they very coldly refused. I mean, how could that possibly have been a scam? I wasn't asking for money. I hope they feel good about themselves: I had to walk home.

Gail Collins explains the budget stalemate with a Star Trek analogy.

McDonald's is an amazing place. They've magically turned oatmeal into junk food.

No comments: