Monday, August 31, 2009

Monday morning roundup

A great article on feedback and criticism. I'd love to send it to my mother--especially in light of her obsession with making me a better person through scathing, insensitive comments--but she'd miss the point. The cultural and generational analysis is worthwhile, but I especially relate to the bullet points:
¶Criticism is judgmental and accusatory. It can involve labeling, lecturing, moralizing and even ridiculing. Feedback focuses on providing concrete information to motivate the recipient to reconsider his or her behavior.

¶Criticism involves making negative assumptions about the other person’s motives. Feedback reacts not to intent but the actual result of the behavior.

¶Criticism, poorly given, often includes advice, commands and ultimatums, making the person receiving it feel defensive and angry — and undermines any benefits. Feedback, on the other hand, looks less at how the person should change, but tries to prompt a discussion about the benefits of change.
How is the handling of the response to Hurricane Katrina comparable to Cash for Clunkers?

Roger Cohen has a knack for writing remarkably boring columns about interesting topics.

I'd like to think I'd never treat my parents this way. I fully anticipate, however, that if they ever move in with me, they'll drive me up the wall. I also think this is interesting in the context of aging:
There is a misguided assumption that baby-sitting is sustenance enough for the aging, said Moina Shaiq, founder of the Muslim Support Network, which brings seniors together. “We are all social beings. How much can you talk to your grandchildren?” Mrs. Shaiq said.
I've heard it come up a lot among mothers, too.

Egyptian culture is showing signs of increasing openness.

No comments: