Monday, March 30, 2009

I may be up for another parental visit

It's not that I expect my parents to keep track of my comings and goings (actually, I'm delighted that they do not). Besides, these days I have keeping track of my own comings and goings, and while I give you permission to shoot me if I EVER complain about travel, I'll admit that being away all the time has taken a toll on the cleanliness of my house (partly by taking a toll on my willingness to do anything about it when I am here). But I digress. The thing is, before their previous visit, we established many a time that I would be out of town in mid-April.

In spite of not only repeating several times a day that she would never come down here again, but also regularly threatening to drive back to Boston as soon as she could, mom now insists on coming back down to help me with the garden.

Mom: I was looking at tickets-- it looks like JetBlue is having a decent sale. What if I come down the 17th?
A.: I won't be here. I'll be back the 23rd. Actually, technically the 24th.
Dad: We can't make it the weekend of the 26th...
A.: And I'll hardly be up for visitors that weekend, having returned from my trip not two days prior.
Dad: You're going on a trip?
A.: We've discussed this.
Dad: That's right, we have. I forgot.
A.: I'm around the weekend of the 11th.
Mom: By then it will be too late to plant.
A.: How is it too late to plant on the 11th but not the 17th?
Mom: Well, it'll be too late to start on all the landscaping you need to do before you plant.
A.: I can get a start on weeding on my own.
Mom: I'll keep an eye out for fares.
A.: Okay.

No comments: